Network for Orofacial Clefts Research, Prevention and Treatment (EUROCleftNet) is a Research Networking Programme funded by the European Science Foundation (ESF)
Thanks to all our delegates for their contributions to our EUROCleftNet Research Conference: Genetics, Environment and Prevention held at the Apex City Quay Hotel, Dundee, Scotland from Thursday 30 June – Friday 1 July 2016
We are grateful for the kind assistance of Dundee & Angus Convention Bureau and Dundee City Council who worked in partnership with us to deliver a very successful conference.
School of Dentistry
University of Dundee
To increase the European capability for cutting edge research aimed at:
(a) improving the quality of care of infants born with cleft lip and palate and address any inequalities across Europe
(b) improve knowledge on risk factors (genetic and environmental) with a view to primary prevention
(c) engage with clinicians, scientists, parents and research users in the strategic planning and conducting of our research.
Steps towards this objective:
- Development of a strategy for engaging European cleft teams and laboratories in ongoing and new European research collaborations initiative.
- Identification and involvement of users in research design and development of outcomes measures for orofacial clefts.
- Encourage research initiatives that are aimed towards improving minimum standards of cleft care, universal access to care and equality of care.
- Development of a priority list of questions for patient-centred research in the field of orofacial clefts.
Strategic action points and priorities:
- To create a Directory of Resources to facilitate research.
- To continue to promote the concept of collaboration between clinicians and geneticists in research (which underpinned the success of EUROCRAN).
- To pursue a portfolio of clinical and genetics research and apply for external funding.
- To engage with a wide range of stakeholders (including beyond Europe) to ensure that this ESF Research Network is able to address orofacial clefting holistically and globally.
- To communicate and disseminate research findings through local, national and international networks
Peter A Mossey (Chairman, Steering Group)